Benjamin B. Cotton
Benjamin Cotton is involved in the practice of intellectual property law, with a particular focus on the preparation and prosecution of United States and foreign patent applications in the mechanical, electro-mechanical, and chemical-mechanical arts. Ben works with a variety of clients ranging from sole inventors to multi-national corporations.
Ben’s legal expertise includes:
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications for filing in the United States and foreign countries
- Rendering non-infringement, clearance, invalidity, and patentability opinions
- Formulating long-term intellectual property roadmaps that include trademarks, utility patents, design patents, trade secrets, and copyrights
- Preparing various types of contracts
- Preparing disclosures for publishing as a prior art reference
- Prosecuting domestic and foreign trademark applications
- Providing general intellectual property training to clients, as well as training on specific topics of intellectual property as requested by individual clients
Prior to becoming an attorney, Ben worked as a Structural Analyst performing finite element analysis (FEA) for a truck, bus, and heavy-duty vehicle manufacturer.
Outside of work, Ben’s interests include soccer and travelling. Ben and his wife live in Shaker Heights and enjoy outdoor activities in the area.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- State of Illinois, 2002
Memberships / Honors / Awards
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- J.D., The John Marshall Law School (Chicago, IL), 2002
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Cum Laude, 1998