Richard T. Coyne
Richard Coyne defends manufacturers against product liability claims, breach of warranty claims and provides counsel regarding risk mitigation strategies. He has tried cases across the country in federal and state courts, including personal injury, wrongful death actions, and property damage claims. He also has extensive experience in insurance coverage litigation, tender of defense and indemnification issues, subrogation matters and third-party issues.
He advises and counsels clients through safety-related issues, including product recalls in conjunction with the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC). In addition, he frequently deals with litigation-related environmental and regulatory issues at the state, national and international levels.
Rick has commercial litigation experience and provides counsel in process control, vendor recoveries, and risk mitigation.
He has received Martindale Hubbell’s Highest Rating in both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards, A-V.
Rick has coordinated dozens of product recalls on a nationwide basis with the CPSC and serves as coordinating counsel for a multi-billion dollar global manufacturer of consumer products. He also advises developers on warnings, quality assurance, and safety standards for specific products.
- State of Ohio, 1989
- United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- Various United States Courts of Appeal
Memberships / Honors / Awards
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Trial Attorneys of America (TAA) - Board of Directors
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel - Convention Speaker (2019)
- Defense Research Institute – Convention Speaker (2004, 2008 and 2011)
- Trial Attorneys of America – Convention Speaker (2005 and 2011)
- 2016 recipient of the TAA WAA award by TAA for contributions to the organization and its members
- American Society of Quality – ASQ Speaker (2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016)
- J.D., Case Western University School of Law, 1989
- B.A., Economics, University of Dayton, 1986