Richard T. Coyne
Richard Coyne defends manufacturers against product liability claims, breach of warranty claims and subrogation claims. Rick handles commercial litigation matters and vendor recoveries in addition to providing risk mitigation strategies and product development advice for clients. He has tried cases across the country in federal and state courts, including personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage actions. He also has extensive experience in tender of defense and indemnification issues, coverage matters and third-party issues.
He advises and counsels clients through safety-related issues, including product recalls in conjunction with the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) and Health Canada. In addition, he frequently deals with litigation-related environmental and regulatory issues at the state, national and international levels.
He has received Martindale Hubbell’s Highest Rating in both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards, A-V.
Rick has coordinated dozens of product recalls on a nationwide basis with the CPSC and serves as coordinating counsel for a multi-billion dollar global manufacturer of consumer products. He also counsels manufacturers on Recall Process Development and Controls, quality assurance practices, warnings, pictograms and application of safety standards for specific products.
Regulatory Compliance/CPSC Recalls
- State of Ohio, 1989
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 2021
- United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- United States District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, 2021
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- Various United States Courts of Appeal
Memberships / Honors / Awards
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Trial Attorneys of America (TAA) - Board of Directors
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel - Convention Speaker (2018, 2019, 2021)
- Defense Research Institute – Convention Speaker (2004, 2008 and 2011)
- Trial Attorneys of America – Convention Speaker (2005, 2006 and 2011)
- 2016 recipient of the TAA WAA award by TAA for contributions to the organization and its members
- American Society of Quality – ASQ Speaker (2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016)
- J.D., Case Western University School of Law, 1989
- B.A., Economics, University of Dayton, 1986